The lead course is ideal for anyone wanting to take the next step in climbing, whether you have just finished our beginner course or you’re wanting to build confidence and knowledge before you head outdoors. This course is only suited to people who already have top-rope climbing experience; we do not recommend it for beginner climbers.
Our lead course coach, Faith Meckley, is an experienced indoor and outdoor lead climber.
The course consists of two sessions, each with 2.5 hours of coaching and direction. Once the course is completed, and you have successfully led and belayed, you’ll be given a lead pass. This will allow you to lead climb at our both of our climbing facilities.
If you feel you are already competent at lead climbing and do not need the course, and want to acquire a lead pass to lead climb at our gyms, please contact us to set up an appointment to get checked off.
- The dates and times of the course change each time to meet as many people’s schedules as possible
- Price: $170 (includes gear)
- It is possible to fail the course and not receive a lead pass. In these situations, additional training sessions can be arranged with the course coaches.
- Successful completion of the course does not mean you are ready to climb outdoors, and there are many important skills for outdoor climbing that we do not teach in our course, such as building and cleaning anchors. Outdoor climbing is inherently more dangerous than climbing in gyms. Please make sure you have ample practice before going outdoors, and go with an experienced outdoor climber or a climbing guide.
- We generally only offer our lead climbing course to climbers aged 16+.
- We consider climbers younger than 16 on a case-by-case basis. For climbers younger than 16 that are approved to take the course, a parent or adult family member must take the course with them and also learn to lead climb and belay. This is to ensure that the younger climber has a regular partner to practice their skills with. In the past we have seen climbers complete the course and then not lead climb or belay for quite a while, only to come back to it months or years later (with an approved lead pass) to find they have completely forgotten how to do it.
- For very young climbers who are able to lead climb but are not heavy enough to safely lead belay other climbers, we can issue a climb-only lead pass (again, keeping in mind that they need a belayer).
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about a special consideration for a younger climber.
- We do not hire out lead climbing gear (ropes, belay devices). Once you have a lead pass, you need to use your own equipment to lead climb at our gyms.
Book into upcoming lead course
We have a course available to book in August. Please see the information below and the link to book in. Follow all instructions in the booking portal to book correctly.
Maximum class size: 6 students
Friday August 11th, 7-9:30pm
Friday August 18th, 7-9:30pm
We do not offer partial courses, nor do we offer refunds or credits for changes of mind or poor attendance on your part. Please read and understand our refund policy before committing to the course. Please ensure you have completed an online waiver before you book in.
You can book in using this link: https://gymrealmmanageraustralia.azurewebsites.net/onlinebooking/newbooking?GymID=348&NameSpace=CanberraIndoorClimbing